Wednesday, June 27, 2007

GRINDHOUSE: Planet Terror

Ever since I have started watching horror films, I have wanted to see a double feature. When you do research on horror films (as well as other types), you hear about these mythical double features. Also, if you are a fan of horror, you probably love the movie From Dusk Til Dawn which was written by Quentin Taratino and Robert Rodriguez. 2 of the filmmakers that came out of, what I like to call, the "American New Wave." Last year I got the news that these two directors, who had been so influential in the 90's and now 2000's with Rodriguez's Sin City were doing a double feature called Grindhouse and not only would it be a double-feature, but a horror double feature with FAKE TRAILERS by Rodriguez (YAY!), Rob Zombie (YAY!), Edgar Wright (YAY!), and Eli Roth (Yea...). Well I saw it two weeks ago and can't stop thinking about it so here is my review.

PLANET TERROR:
Rodriguez had this idea when he was doing the under-whelming The Faculty. It is brought to life, and let me tell you, it is one hell of a ride. When a zombie epidemic sweeps a town, many different walks of life have to collide to save the world including a Go-Go Dancer, a member of some secret society, and a sheriff. There is not one moment of this film that is not incredible.

Rodriguez's directing is what makes this movie simply a heart pounding action ride. He begins with the movie with the dead sexy Rose McGowan, playing Cherry the Go-Go dancer, working her body on a stage. Hell, I would have been happy if that was the whole movie. Anyways, this man knows how to gross you out and make you go "AW SHIT!" With the missing reel that he took out from the film, which takes you to a point in the story where you have no idea what is going on. It is incredible. I can't say more good things about this movie.

But I will, because the acting is great for what they were trying to accomplish. Everybody is perfectly cheesy, but not too over the top. Rose McGowan and Freddy Rodriguez take control of this movie. McGowan plays a woman who is unhappy with her job as a go-go dancer and wants to be a stand-up comedian. She is extremely hot and really kick ass when she gets her machine gun leg. I mean, it is a FREAKIN' MACHINE GUN LEG! Frddy Rodriguez plays El Wray, who "never misses." He is a total bad ass, but only the 2nd most bad ass person in this double feature (the 1st is coming up later). He slices, he shoots, he does everything. I hope to see more from him in the future.

In all, this was my favorite out the two movies and I give it a 5 out of 5.

No comments: